do you still have one of these? i have two. one in the house, one in the car. (plus one on the visor, yo.)
i'm pretty sure the cd case has gone the way of the landline, but i am holding on to the nineties with clenched fists. i have yet to completely jump onto the whole mp3 "thing". sure, i dabble in the world of itunes, but mostly for running and the occasional "i heard it on a tv show so i must buy it" situation.
remember when cd cases dominated the space underneath the passenger seat or the glove box? remember when you would get into someone's car (a first date, a new friend) and flipping through their cds was like glimpsing into their soul? (or if you were the driver, secretly wishing they would look at your cds so they could appreciate your coolness...)
sure scrolling through someone's ipod can give you a good idea, but there's just too much! an ipod is just a huge, huge mixed tape. metallica? jay-z? all-american rejects? how are we supposed to see into that soul? i mean, i have 'starry eyed surprise' by shifty shellshock on my shuffle, but that doesn't mean i'm a clubber. shifty shellshock does not define who i am!
to really know a person you need to see their cd collection... to see what music they love, what artists they are committed to enough to buy all their music and pay $15 for an ENTIRE album.
today, people's music "like" lists are too long. we need the consistency, the telltale-ness of the cd case.
so bring out that purple case logic you've stashed away and let someone into your soul...
17 comments:
ha ha ha. I love this post. I still totally have my case logic...filled with all my high school favs. "plus one on the visor, yo." ha ha I died when I read that line. YOu're so funny Robin. I love it.
i still pack around the HUGE one, you know with four discs on each sleeve???
plus two small ones in the car.
i love this post.
a first date flip through was always a must.
no dave matthews band? no second date.....
CD case huh? How about the box underneath the staircase with actual albums-the real vinyl thing-dating back to prehistoric times!!! Now there you could really dig into the soul of someone-Mantovani elevator music-The Tijuana Brass-Frank Sinatra-Elvis-Tony Bennett-Count Basie-Judy Garland-The Hi-Los-ahh, now we are talking. Loved the post Princess.
From your dinosaur Dad
(This is going to be a long one. Brace yourself)
First of all, I TOTALLY get the CD case thing. A while back my husband emptied out my big CD case to make room for his basketball coaching DVDs (blah) and moved my CDs onto one of those spindles that hold blanks. Our yougest has been getting into them recently, and my husband suggested we throw them out since we have pretty much all the music on our hard drive anyway. I kind of wanted to die.
Not my Weezer Blue Album!! Or Unwritten Law self-titled! Or all my CDs from the now defunct Drive-thru Records label!! (Something Corporate, Finch, some old Dashboard Confessional...) I ended up stashing away most of them.
But I t o t a l y did the first-date-flip-through. If it was just Dave Matthews, he could be forgiven, but if it was combined with Jack Johnson AND John Mayer? Total deal breaker. (Sorry Brooke!)
I also judged them if the CDs were not alphabetized. Oh the glory days... :)
Also, in reference to your comment on my blog, you don't mean Classic Skating do you? I ALMOST WENT TO THAT SAME SHOW! Only my "friends" at the time were too "cool" for the Aquabats. How laaaame. Luckily I was able to take my little sister to see them a few years ago for her first concert. It was magical.
One last thing. My word verification is "unworkin" which is exactly what i'm doing right now. :)
I remember this!
if i ever find a man who has the entire CAKE collection on cd in his car, i'll marry him immediately.
ps. robn, don't be freaked out by that last comment. it was actually from me. i don't know who gina is.
and robin, you have one of the coolest cd cases i've ever perused.
i have to admit i even recently bought one (thank you target) i just can't get away.
Fantastic post.
when i loved dave i didn't even know jack johnson or john mayer. so no offense taken....
john mayer would be a deal breaker all by himself.
not instantly changing the radio station when he comes on is a deal breaker too....
but oh yeah, dave and counting crows....they were my high school favorites for sure...
seriously? because i stopped using my cd case in 2003 when i moved to the land of media files. so...... like, my cd case has the primary children's song book and EVERY efy cd made in the 90s and early y2k and collin raye and sarah mclachlan and evidence of that short stint in country music.
so....... awful, AWFUL window to my soul.
except tom + yuki and robin's gina. both excellent compilations.
but for the record, i have them all stored below my desk at work. and theyre are like 500 or so cd's hidden there.
You're awesome and this post could not be more true!
seriously...it was like looking at someones DVD rack. Like "ohhhh you like Jack Johnson...well I can let that slide...wait....you also like 27 Dresses???? Yeah we need to go"
i have a cd case still.
shifty shellshock had a special place in my heart.
i use the case logic still. i don't have an ipod.
i was always really self-conscious about people looking at my cd case...as you say, it's letting someone into your soul.
best post everrrrr. i have a huge CD case somewhere. not gonna look for it because then my husband will guilt me into throwing it away. and this from the man i used to lovingly make mix CDs for. dashboard, mates of state, yellowcard....how'd he get so lucky?
but seriously, look into my soul robin: in high school my dream was to have a car and drive into school with Cake blasting. totally didn't happen. but i was really really obsessed with incubus, dashboard, and lifehouse.
A. Your blog is BEAUTIFUL. It's what I want mine to look like. Your house is amazing.
B. I am going to link to this post for a future post, because I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. And I'm going to share my top ten albums. Thanks for saying it perfectly.
Post a Comment