Sunday, April 15, 2012

duben

i have had a heavy heart.  life, death, and eternal families have been in the foreground of my mind for the past week.  it is not a subject i tend to dwell on, but with the events of this past week it is all i can think about.

sunday brought the death of a friend.  he was a friend to me and josh, a husband to my friend, carrie, a son-in-law and brother-in-law to the fischers, a family i consider my family.

duben was great.  he was kind.  he had the ability to make you feel special just by smiling. truly a wonderful, genuine man.  there is not enough good that can be said about him.

during this week when i have had the opportunity to mourn with those who mourn, i have felt the reassurance that death is not the end.  of course this is a knowledge i have always believed, but never more so than now.  at duben's funeral there were thoughts shared and quotes read about loved ones helping their families from beyond the veil.  those words hit me and i felt comfort. comfort for me.  comfort for carrie's family.  and comfort for the fischers.

we will miss duben... and carrie and her children are in my thoughts always...

8 comments:

aubry. said...

This is good, robin. I stared at my screen for three hours today. I honestly couldn't firm words for the weekend beyond "we went to the funeral". Nothing could make sense of how it felt to be there, with the fischers, and celebrate dub's life. He was so great, wasn't he? The kindest, most genuine. Shanty husband material, for sure.

So glad we could do that together. It'll go down in the archives of sweetest of all sweet moments.

You said it best.

kate said...

Oh Robin, I know you didn't post this for "I'm sorry" comments, but I am sorry. Having a heavy heart over such things is so, so hard.

I have such a strong testimony that death is not the end. I feel so blessed to truly know that. But still, death is so hard for the people who are left behind. I hope your friend and her children find comfort, I hope your do to. I will say a few prayers for her.

Marci said...

very sweet post.

kathryn said...

Andi said...

i'm so glad you got to go to arkansas, i wish so much that i could have been there too.
thinking of carrie and those babes always.

David and Shalynna said...

I'll keep his family as well as yours in my prayers, Robin. There seems to be so many tragic stories lately. Two close family friends of ours lost loved ones recently too and I keep thinking about the ones left behind. I wish there was more that I could do. But, I know that prayer works and that the atonement truly comforts those who need it. I hope you continue to feel that comfort.

abby said...

I'm so sorry you guys. This is so sad. I'm glad she has such wonderful friends to help her through.

kate said...

(just seeing this.)

Man. that is so hard. Death at at a young age never makes sense to me. I'm just so thankful for the knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ and that we will see our loved ones again. It seriously is the only help in loosing loved one. Hugs.