my mom has always been creative. it started when my nana hired a teenage girl in their neighborhood to teach my mom to sew. as i was growing up, she liked to sew me dresses. i was definitely the only one who showed up for picture day in the 3rd grade wearing a brown and tan prairie-style dress with a bow at my neck. (i loved it.) and although she may argue this, she's very artistic, too. i always loved her quirky little drawings and doodles i used to find all over the house.
and through the years, i remember her going through phases with many a creative outlet. for example, in my early teen years i remember a certain obsession she had with fimo clay. miniature pink fimo babies covered our counters and tables. and then fimo babies turned into fimo santa clauses and fimo pins for friends.
as my brothers and i started to leave home, my mom started quilting. she started with a class at a local adult school and before any of us knew it, we were buried in quilts and she had started meeting with her quilting groups instead of making dinner. (jokes, mom. jokes.) (kind of.)
but her creativity really took off when we all got out of her house and freed up a sewing room for her. it has been great watching her grow in her talents (awww) and see all the beautiful things she has created. especially when she gives ME those beautiful, wonderful things...
every time my mom visits, she always brings me a little something. "i whipped up about ten of these one day," she'll say, handing me a cute crafty little bag or pouch or toy for the kids. and this last trip was no different. she had recently made a bunch of little sewing kits and gave me one. and then i got to thinking about ALL the "little" things she's given me over the years...
...and as i started going around the house i realized that i would need an assistant if i was ever going to take a picture of EVERY thing my mom has made for us, so this is just a sampling. i honestly could have been taking pictures all day of every quilt, pillowcase, headband, coaster, pouch, bag, toy, doll quilt, skirt, and cute thing my mom has ever made for us.
![]() |
| i know! too cute, right?! |
| "oh, no big deal... this was totally easy..." made out of an old tablecloth. |
| parker's monkey quilt. |
| "lucy goosey" parker sleeps with her every night. |
| macy's butterfly quilt. |
| she made this for parker's 7th birthday. |
| i about died when i saw this quilt. |
| she made the cowboy pillows... |
| ... and here's a better picture of ollie's baby quilt. |
| this is the quilt she made for me and josh when we got married. i have to keep a close eye on this one when she visits because she loves it so much and she's threatened to take it back. |
| that top yellow one is one of my most absolute favorites. it's made entirely by hand. she made it for parker when she was a baby. |
thank you mom for all your creativity and wonderful gifts over the years! next up, a quilt for oliver that she's been working on. she says it's the best thing she's ever made and i'm beginning to wonder if we will ever see it...
although she hasn't blogged for three years, this is my mom's blog...

13 comments:
"drat, now I have to make the beds so I can get these great pictures" because I struggle to remember to make my own bed, let alone my kids.
I think your mom needs to be my new best friend and make my house look cute. Is she for hire? Beautiful beautiful beautiful!
Wow robin, what a surprise to read this post. You are very sweet. I admit, I do have an obsession don't I.
Craig took that picture of me tonight right after I bought those glasses at target for $2.50. It was a joke. And then I get home and there I am on your blog....wearing those cheep glasses. Actually, they don't look that bad do they?
By the way, it didn't skip generations. You are just as creative as I am. Like in your creative writing and creative parenting. I love how creative you are in decorating your cute home. I could go on....
Thanks again for the sweet post. Love you.
the little quilt she made for olive is one of my most treasured gifts. you and your mom are BOTH amazingly creative. what a sweet post robin.
robin, i would like to think my constant admiration of your quilts/begging your mom to adopt me was, in part, inspiration for this post. i have even pinned some of her blog photos on my pinterest.
she is truly talented.
i agree with her though, it didn't skip a generation, so whenever you feel like ditching out on dinner duties and starting to quilt just remember about me....
What and incredible Mom and the things she's made for your family--beautiful!! Moms really are the greatest! Yours is especially cute by the way!
Jan, I think Robin just "rose up and called you blessed." Proverbs 31:28 "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her." Such a wonderful relationship you both have and it is fun to read about (in your creative writing style of course, Robin) and see lived out.
She didn't even make her friends any of those adorable needle holders!!!!
wow!! She IS so creative! But so are you!! Now I know where you get it. Those quilts are to die for. I couldn't pick a favorite if I had to. wow wow what a mom!
does she knit too? that knit sweater she has on would be a lot of work. she does beautiful work. And she is good at color choosing.
will your mom please adopt me?!??
your mom is so talented...i have always been amazed with her creativity. you have it too!
Robin what a lovely tribute to your wonderfully, talented Mom! I remember most of these things you talked about and think I even received one of the fimo babies with a cute fimo blanket. It was so cute! Her quilts are beautiful and I enjoy seeing all the fun things she comes up with to sew. She is definately creative. I have to agree with the others and say it didn't skip a generation. You are talented in your own way and who knows when your kids leave home what talents you will increase on! I miss hearing you play the piano. I'm glad you got one for Christmas! We sure miss you guys!! Tell Josh hello and that Steve just signed up for another triatholon.
Oh my! That elephant quilt is darling. And that sewing kit and that.. and that.. She's way talented.
I totally regret blowing my mom off when she tried to teach me sewing, cooking, and basically anything that a good mom/housewife should learn. Boy oh boy do I regret that now.
whoa! i am so impressed. and jealous. will your mom be my grandma?
Post a Comment