Monday, August 31, 2009

words


there are some words that i just really don't like. i will go out of my way to not say them. ooh, they really bother me . . .

breath
bra
purse
lips
chapstick
food
panties
pee
lipstick
makeup (although, i do love makeup)


and then there's the words that aren't really words, but have creeped their way into our vernacular. i cringe . . .

pic
text (as a verb)
hubby
preggo
preggers
vacay

there. i feel much better.


14 comments:

aubry. said...

how about "frisco" - the noun... as in - the place people who aren't from california call "san francisco".

and "so cal" too. who calls it that?

people from utah, that's who.

robin said...

so true aubry. so true. i forgot those...

Leah said...

I have to say I like "vaycay" if only because it is so ridiculous.

I am really curious as to how you avoid some of the words in the first list. It would be almost impossible for me.

The Fear Fam said...

I too hate the word "panties." It will never escape my lips (unless I'm ridiculing it).

But I'm with Leah. How do you avoid some of the words in the first list? I'm thinking "makeup" would be a really difficult one to avoid, as well as "breath." And I'm interested to know what your other word for "bra" is? Brassiere? That's even more ridiculous! :)

aubry. said...

Ooh - I forgot one!

Besties. As in best friends.

Sounds like a word your mom would teach you to use to refer to a piece of the human anatomy when you were little and it was too weird to hear the proper terminology come from a six year old's mouth.

Am I getting all freudian on you?

jamie said...

thanks for coming out with the list rob. i'd like to add 'gestation'. miracle of life aside, it just sounds gross.

and aubry, you made me laugh with the besties!!

phew.

aubry. said...

add to that list the word "tourney" as in - tournament.

basically - utilize all the proper letters of each word.

i don't think that's too much to ask... but then again, people at work call me henry higgins...

brooke said...

is lipstick new??
and panties never bothered me, but probably because it bothered EVERYONE, there was some big issue with the word panties in high school (also the word moist, but thats beside the point)
as a result, i say it frequently...
i will try and be more sensitive around you though.

brooke said...

oh oh and, for me i would much rather hear/say/think the word pee than piss (it pains me just to type it) or tinkle, that one really gets me.
so i guess i will have to watch that one too, eh?

Carrie said...

now I know why I love you so much! Where the heck did you come up with that first list of perfectly normal words - aside from pee - I hate that one too.

I was cracking up reading the ongoing dialogue of comments. You're friends are as entertaining as you.

aubry. said...

okay, we "texted" (just for you!) about this last night, but i think the masses deserve to know the horror that is this list of words:

applicator
sponge
wand
sauce

and, for jen - any word that ends in -tion. for example:

rotation
concoction
potion
friction

ick, yeah?

cindy. said...

sick, aubry. that list . . . applicator, sponge, wand, sauce . . . i never thought of those being gross until this very minute. thank you for ruining them for me.

remember that time you all wrote every name you hated or thought was ugly on the shanty white board? ya, i do. it was L-O-N-G.

you know what word i don't like? boyfriend. yup. my poor boyfriend. it's hard for me to call him that. there's something about that word that just gets to me. ugh.

Lisa-Marie said...

Gee. I missed all the fun on this one.

Hey cindy. Maybe you should get engaged to him and then he could be your FIANCE!!!! You like that word better?

Panties. Just like everyone else. Sick.

Melody said...

Most of the words you wrote don't bother me, except preggo. It makes me think of spaghetti sauce every time someone makes the comment "You're preggo?"

I just don't like mispronunciations of words. Like ta e.g. "I'd like ta bear my testimony" Thankfully, I don't hear that as much here as I did in South Carolina, but I did hear someone say it just a few days ago. Ick!