Wednesday, June 10, 2009

woody

this is our darling neighbor (well, he used to be our neighbor, boo hoo) kellen and woody the baby squirrel.

one day last month this little baby squirrel just showed up and kinda stuck around.  he was very friendly and would go right up to people.  he was all alone and we were concerned for our new little friend.  so i called a number and was directed to a wonderful woman who runs an animal sanctuary.  so, i put woody in a box and off we went!  me and the kids on our animal-saving adventure.  we had to drive for quite a while to get there (and the whole time i was thinking, "really?  i'm driving all the way out here to save a squirrel? they're a dime a dozen around these parts!  what am i doing?")

anyway, we dropped him (well, we found out woody is a girl) off at wild things sanctuary and there were tons and tons of baby squirrels!  so woody had lots of friends . . .

that was over a month ago, so i was surprised when just the other day, i received this email from victoria, the wonderful woman who runs the sanctuary:


Hi there!
I wanted to let you know that Woody has made great progress! She spent the last week in an outdoor release cage and yesterday I opened the door for the first time. I know that she spent the night back in the cage cozy with her adopted siblings, but she is welcome to come and go as she wants now and will probably slowly branch out and become more independent in the coming weeks. Until then, she knows where to come for a walnut breakfast and any attention she desires!
Thank you so much for bringing her in to Wild Things sanctuary. You gave her a second chance and she is now a healthy and happy little squirrel living in the Wild Things woods!
All the best,
Victoria & the wild gang!


now, if you know me at all, you know i am not some big animal lover.  i mean, they're fine, but kinda icky.  but even i got warm fuzzies from this little good deed i did . . .

consider my back patted.

7 comments:

craig shipley said...

haha. this totally reminds me of the guy in While You Were Sleeping who was praised as a kid for saving the squirrels and then confesses as an adult that "first I knocked them out of the tree with a rock....and then I saved them." so funny. good job!

aubry. said...

oh geez... you're a crier now AND you save animals!

at least we still have the bobbi brown counter in common.

Roo said...

Hey, I wrote you a message on facebook, I didn't know what you check more... but I had some exciting news for you on that message...

cindy. said...

wow..totally impressed, rob. never really imagined you'd be saving squirrels, but i like it!

and you know i love hearing you are a crier now. maybe you'll understand me a bit better, now ;)

that's very cute though. we had a squirrel at our cabin when i was a little girl. reading this post made me yearn for my cabin days. hmmm.

and p.s...YES, you are going to like what roo has to say. i'm so jealous.

Melanie said...

I'm so happy our little friend has found a place to call home and all thanks to you, my friend. It's a good thing too. I don't think she would have lasted too long around here... children + curiousity + sticks = RIP Woody.

jamie said...

i'm sorry robin, but when i read this and even you admitting to not loving animals much, i could only think of one thing... bambi.

Nicole said...

Hey Robin, it's been awhile! I wondered where you ended up for the summer and the journey getting there sounded a little painful. I couldn't help think about the dumb cop in Mexico who took Ben's license while reading about your impoundment issue. What a huge pain, but huge pains often make the best stories, right?

I hope you're enjoying Boston. I'm sure you are. Don't you LOVE the GPS?? We love it particularly on road trips.

Also, I miss the Hayters! Talk to you later!