Wednesday, April 15, 2009

the creeps

there's a little something that occurs in our house, and i refer to it as
the creeping phenomenon.

first,
the counter creep.
there's a nice corner where i put a basket to collect things that need collecting.  you know, like a junk drawer.  but since we have a total of three drawers in our entire kitchen, our junk stays on top of the counter.  (this isn't our dream kitchen people, we're just glad to have one.)
anyway, things start out nicely.  an organized junk basket, a cute cake stand for tomatoes and such, and pretty soon, this happens . . .

things start creeping out of the basket, away from the corner, and head across the counter.
if i need counter space, i simply shove it back into the corner, which makes room for more creeping . . . and so it continues.  (this picture is actually a mild example of the counter creep.)


next,
the shoe creep.
what begins as a few nicely-organized pairs of shoes, spreads into an uncontrollable pile of shoes that want to take over the house.

see what i mean?  they are literally going to take over . . .


next,
the closet creep.
yes, i am going there.  inside our hall closet.  again, what started out organized (a section for towels, a section for sheets  . . . again, not our dream house . . . because in our dream house i will have rooms for my piles of luxury linens), creeps into this huge mess that i don't even have words for . . .

i mean, really?  headbands?  medicine?  the baby monitor? how did they get there?  
  real simple would be disgusted.


and that's it for now.  
that's enough of showing how my house really looks before i'm creeped out enough to clean up the creeps.

does your house get creepy?

10 comments:

The Johnsons said...

My house definitely gets something but it's not so much a creep but a sprint. I feel like I have to pick up 3 times a day and organize all the 'put it there' spaces--every other day about??

On a side note, I love your creativity and your great taste and style. The hair styles, colorful wardrobes, fun pictures, creative party ideas and a fun outlook on life. I will enjoy reading your blog to see what you guys are up too. Or I could just walk down the street (at least for a while)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh I love you for posting this because my entire house is filled with creeping spots and it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I'm sure things are so much "creepier" in our house than anyone else's times 5 (and I only have one child...imagine when there's more!) but it is nice to be reminded that it just comes with the territory. Hopefully someday I'll get organized!

Molly said...

so glad i'm not the only one!!! :) the counter creeps drive me the craziest!! they just never stop with that darn mail that has to come in every day (seriously sometimes i wish nick just wouldn't check the mail so i wouldn't have to deal with it that day!) ;) you are so fun robin, you crack me up, and i love how you are always just keep it real!

Lisa-Marie said...

True. Every word. True.

Do you think in your dream house you could have a room for ME, too?!?!?!?

Julianne Sanders said...

Hi Robin!!! I haven't checked your blog for forever- actually since we got a new computer for Christmas and I didn't have your blog bookmarked anymore. Anyways- I was just laughing at your creeping issues! My kitchen counter tops (and many, many other places) suffer from the same phenomenon!!! Go figure- know what I do? Well, if Wesley doesn't get to it first (He is quite the neat freak and cleans up after his mother a little too often...) I grab everything and throw it into boxes and store them in the basement. I currently have 4 or 5 boxes now. Then when I'm feeling ambitious I lay it all on the carpet in a big pile and pay my boys for an hour or so of their time to put everything away where it belongs! Ha!

Janis said...

I will clean out my walk-in closet and promise myself that it will stay neat and tidy and I will put everything away when I use it....and then just a few days later I'm stepping over all the items I've thrown in there. I go through this cycle over and over. I don't get it.

aubry. said...

i don't mean to sound practically perfect in every way, or anything... becuase i only have myself to take care of. but i can't handle the creeps.

i start to itch all over. my skin turns red. and suddenly... the hives!

that's right.

there's a place for everything in my house. a cubby. a box. a shelf. a basket. and it's all tucked away nicely and orderly.

ooh, i'm getting all itchy, just thinking about it.

Trina said...

If those are your worst creeps, I think you okay. Some of those pictures, especially the one on the kitchen counter looks about like my counter when it's un-creeped. Creative and cute though!

Stacey said...

I hear you sister!

Fulkerson Clan said...

my husband calls that phenomenon in our house "the piles". i have piles of junk everywhere (well, not everywhere, usually anyways, just a few select places :) but my closets all look pretty much like the one you have pictured. sigh. cleaning them out twice a year just isn't enough...(and having more closets doesn't seem to help the problem!)