Friday, April 22, 2011

the post where i sound crazy


in my mind, every song has a certain amount of space to fill. songs i cannot stand (walking on sunshine, message in a bottle) fill up none of the space. songs i enjoy that don't make me want to scream, fill up the space to varying depths. songs i love - even favorite songs - almost fill up the whole space.

and then there's perfect songs. perfect songs fill up the space entirely. it's not the lyrics, it's not the memories associated with a song, and it's not the band that makes a song perfect. it's the melody and the voice.

i have created this helpful visual for you, using a jar as the nondescript "space in my mind":
i have had this ongoing list of perfect songs in my head for years:

rain king - counting crows
mystery - indigo girls
tupelo honey - van morrison
let me go - cake
say hello, wave goodbye - david gray (a cover)
kathy's song - simon and garfunkel
first day of my life - bright eyes
human - the killers
apologize - one republic

(i make no apologies for that last one. it just is.)


how about you? what is something tricky for you to describe? or, if you are totally picking up what i'm putting down, what is a perfect song to you?


8 comments:

craig shipley said...

here i am - bryan adams
and
in this diary - the ataris

Bridget said...

I love your visual. I totally understand what you're saying. I don't get a "full" jar with a lot of songs just listening to them, but playing them on the piano...that does it.

Sweet J said...

Here is the thing. This is the one thing I have no opinion on. I mean of course I have my own favorite songs....but I think that a person chooses his/her favorite/perfect songs by the emotion they feel and who is...anyone...to say it is not good. My perfect songs?

I'm so lonsome I could cry - Hank William Sr. (worlds most perfect songwriter)

Green and Dumb - Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers

He stopped loving her today - George Jones

The Seeker - The Who

Don't Go Away - Oasis

Boy Racer - Morrissey

Party in the USA - Miley Cyrus

lara said...

as i read this, i'm watching one of those "time life" 80s compilation cd shows. seriously. these are great song (michael bolton was just singing).

there are songs that completely stop me in my tracks. like you say...take up a space...it's like nothing else can exist in that moment because of that song. and you can't explain it to anyone.

new york city's killing me-ray lamontagne
free fallin-john mayer
they bring me to you-josh radin
ghost-howie day
sail away-david gray (i never want that song to end...and ditto to say hello, wave goodbye)
colorado christmas-nitty gritty dirt band
everything i do, i'd do it for you-bryan adams
could you be loved-bob marley
time after time-cindy lauper
whenever you come around-vince gill

there's so many more...i just love this.

i made a cd in college called, "repeats." so many of these kinds of songs are on there.

The Barlows said...

Totally pickin up what you're puttin down!

Hallelujah-Jeff Buckley
Everything I do, I do it for you
-Bryan Adams
Angel -Sara Mclaughlin
Cool it now-New Edition
Don't Rain on my Parade-Barbara Streisand
Dog Days are over-Florence + the Machine
Forever-Ben Harper
I wanna Dance with somebody-Whitney Houston
The House that built me-Miranda Lambert
Anything Michael Jackson makes me stop and dance!

kate said...

i totally get it. some of mine are:

first day of my life: bright eyes
into the ocean: blue october
heart of gold: neil young
such great heights: iron and wine cover
ha ha: mates of state
sigh no more: mumford and sons
taxi: harry chapin

and lots and lots and lots more.

MaryPosa said...

Dang. I just left a big comment with all kinds of awesomeness, and something went wrong. Boo.

I feel the same way when I try to describe being in the front row of a concert.

Perfect of perfectness:

Say it ain't so - Weezer
What it is to burn - Finch
Lifeline - Angels and Airwaves
Okay i believe you... - Brand New
Raining in Baltimore - Counting Crows
Sweetness - Jimmy Eat World
Wake the Sun - The Matches
Be Calm - fun.
I Woke up in a Car - Something Corporate
Summer in the City - Regina Spektor
Lucky - Radiohead
Wish you were here - Incubus
So Impossible - Dashboard Confessional
Summer Wind was always our song - The Ataris

Lynne said...

I love, love, love, this post! And, all the comments. I'm responding with my knee jerk reaction. I must give thought to my list, but I am loving yours. I do not know the last song, but I'm going to have to find it and listen.