jane's and michael's beds in mary poppins
you can't see them in this picture, but i remember watching the movie as a kid and wanting their beds so badly. they looked so extremely beautiful and fluffy. i couldn't understand why they just wouldn't lay their heads down when mary poppins sang "stay awake". oh, those comforters looked so silky!
anne's hair after she had to cut it off
i remember hiding behind my brothers' bedroom door and trying to make my hair look just like this picture. (i didn't want anyone to see me and make fun of me!) my hair was completely wrong for this style, but that sure didn't keep me from trying. i tried to use foam curlers and ribbon. i remember being so disappointed when i looked in the mirror and i hadn't magically transformed into anne...
a big, poofy, magical dress
my parents have a wonderful set of vintage disney books and as a child my favorite story was cinderella (with illustrations by retta scott, so not the typical cinderella.) anyway, in the book there is a picture of the ball and the dresses are absolutely the poofiest things i had ever seen. i would stare and stare and stare at that picture and wish so hard that one would just appear in my room in the morning. i would go to sleep thinking about my poofy dress and convince myself that my wish would come true. i don't think i've ever wanted anything more than i did that dress. i'm serious.

what was something you desperately, achingly wanted as a child?
9 comments:
the things you learn from your kids!!! Love Dad
Speaking of Anne of Green Gables and puffy dresses...that specific puff-sleeve dress she had in the movie is what I wanted. The blue one. Sigh.
I don't think i've ever shared this with anyone before so, my complete stranger/dear blog friend, you should feel totally lucky, or horrified, i'm not sure which.
I used to be big time obsessed with Star Trek. I distinctly remember crying my silly eyes out, wishing that someday, I too could go into space.
Oh my.
Anyway, I loved your comment on the Christmas Music thing. I don't know if I've heard Frank Sinatra singing 12 Days of Christmas, so I think I may just have to seek that one out. just so I can commiserate. :)
i love the thoughts of you hiding and then trying to make your hair look like anne's. every part of that story. the best being that your muse was Anne of Green Gables. i love it. as for myself, i wanted to basically be melissa joan hart and would secretly act out full episodes of clarissa explains it all, or secretly dance, to "pray" by mc hammer, while wearing my baggy jean shorts and standing on a chair...while unknowingly my brothers and their friends were secretly watching me because i forgot to close the door all the way. sucks
Number One - Growing up as an only child I had a lot of time to myself. Because of that I had imaginary friends. I had two that followed me through most of my childhood. Jane and Michael Banks. So....there is that.
Number Two - As a child I wanted bright red fire hair. SOOOOO bad.
Amazing list. I adore Anne (with an "e.")
When I was younger, all I wanted was to be Nancy Drew. Heck, I *still* want to be Nancy Drew.
I wanted a BB Gun.
Pink Barbi jeep. You know the one that you can sit in and drive yourself. oH,I still want one.
I wanted a Baby Feels So Real soooooo bad.
Then I got one, then I left her on top of my friend's swing set and she melted in the sun.
I also always wished my name was Jo from Little Women. I thought it was like...the coolest name ever.
Post a Comment