the original craigslist ad said, "of all the things i am selling, this is one that brings tears to my eyes when i think of parting with it."
those words had me. besides the fact that i loved the adorable patio set that she was selling, these words struck me and i knew that her patio set and i were meant to be.
i very quickly responded, "i want your patio set! i am the right person for it! i know that when you're selling something that you love it helps to know it is going to the right person... and i am that person! i love it!"
she (lisa) responded, "Love your enthusiasm! I'm just kind of bummed out to think of parting with that patio set - but I must! This was originally my husband's aunt's & uncle's patio set and then it was ours until we got a whole bunch of new patio furniture, and then my parents had this one for about 8 years because my mom loved it. It has sure held up through the years - I'm guessing it was new in the early to mid 1980's? It's really sweet, and holds sooooo many nice memories. Sigh..."
(which was followed by seven friendly emails planning the pickup and other necessary details. i also learned that her mother had just died which was the reason she was selling it.)
after josh picked it up last night i sent her this email: "the patio set is even cuter than i imagined... i love it! thanks again! it is perfect."
to which she replied, "it sounds like our little table & chairs has gone to the perfect family. My goodness!! Children at 6, 4, 2, & 7 months, and you both seem so happy instead of worn out! hee hee! I'm so thrilled that you like the table/chairs. Hope you have lots of fun times around your table & chairs! I had a good cry when I looked out at the empty patio at Mom's, but then smiled thinking of the family it went to live with. Thanks so much for letting me know you like it!"
isn't this whole situation so sweet? couldn't you just cry? i should enthusiastically respond to craigslist listings more often. maybe that's how i'll find my posse.


isn't it cute? it reminds me of something a cute old granny would have in her rose garden.
someday i'll get around to recovering the cushions in a more "robin" fabric. or maybe my mom will do it for me. mom?
8 comments:
I think you should email her that cute picture of Josh and kids around the table...bet she'd love that. And yes, that is a super cute patio set. Can't wait to see how you Robinize it.
And isn't it nice to even have a patio. The family sitting around definitely makes it happen. May you have many of your own great memories around the Craig's list patio furniture. Love Dad
That patio set really is adorable Robin. And feel free to come up and visit us here anytime! We all miss you!
I love it. And it really does fit the ladle family beautifully.
To see you all in shorts and t-shirts is killing me. I love the fall, but it is already getting too cold for me! I don't even want to think about winter...
love it, it is so Robin.
that is adorable. both the set and the story. and the family around the set.
Wow! Good find, I totally love it! (BTW I love your blog. You are so creative and I'm always laughing out loud at your stories. I almost DIED when I saw the creepy baby picture. I totally showed Sam and we were dying) You will for sure hear any baby news...she's pretty comfortable in there though. I could see her waiting until her due date to get here...but I'll keep you posted :)
you would.
but so would i.
Post a Comment