i have been sick this past week, which, in other words, has given me a lot of time to reflect on children's television. that's right, my kids watch tv. especially when mommy's head is going to explode.
and i have decided that i have a new best friend. oswald.
really.
he's like a breath of fresh-children's-television air. just seeing the word "oswald" on the guide as i scroll through all the children's viewing options makes my heart sing. i love the quirkiness of it, the odd characters. . . the somewhat curmudgeonly penguin, the cheerful daisy, and of course oswald himself. (fred savage is the voice for oswald so it's kind of like having kevin arnold in my living room again.) and there's lots of long, silent pauses and sweet little songs which are so restful to my soul.
oh, and the kids like it too.
but while we're on the subject of kids tv (aubry, i know you love all this mom stuff), does anyone else get kind of mad at caillou's mom? i mean, she's so. . . perfect. everything is an opportunity to teach, she's so creative, she's so patient. she makes a game out of even the simplest of tasks, like putting on a band-aid. what's with that?
i know it's not good to compare myself with other moms, but i can't seem to get it in my head that she's not real. it's like she's there just to make me feel guilty that i wouldn't laugh if one of my children took their collection of worms to bed with them.
oh, and the dad's kind of perfect too.
but so is josh. . . so there's that.


8 comments:
I've often thought of Caillou's mom and have felt inferior. BUT she is frumpy. Very very frumpy and doesn't have half the bod that I've got so at least I've got that on her.
Robin, what the heck is that smart word you used?!
Never seen Caillou, and will now avoid it on purpose. I don't need any help feeling like I'm not up to par!
The kids have one Oswald video, and I have to say, it freaks me out. That weird dragon thing, the egg twins ... they give me the heebie jeebies. But I agree that Fred Savage's voice brings back good memories. :) Oh why couldn't Kevin & Winny get married and live happily ever after?!?
Hi. Magdalena and I ended up playing hooky from the rest of church and I clicked through someone's blog and ended up here...hope you don't mind. I just wanted to say that I don't like Caillou, either. I am unfamiliar with this Oswald thing but if it involves Kevin Arnold, it can't be all bad, right?
You're such a mom.
i was once a perfect mom too. but after watching an episode of caillou, i had an epiphany; caillou's a sissy. i couldn't have that for my children. i vowed right then and there to make sure i yelled at my kids and occasionally forget to feed them dinner just to avoid that outcome.
i have no response to this.
except, kevin arnold...the coolest guy in the world. we all wanted to be winnie.
i have been a bad blog commentor...sorry. your halloween looked like so much fun! so charming there in ny. reminds me of "hocus pocus." odd, i know. but really...so beautiful! and you look GREAT. yep. all caps.
not only is Oswald delightful it's also forward thinking. Flamboyant egg "twins", a gender confused dog, polygamist paper-dolls. Nick Jr. doesn't get anything by me
Get better Robin! :)
BTW - I'm writing frequently on my blog now - you should check it out:
michaelandjoy.blogspot.com
Love ya!
Joy
Post a Comment